Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feeling Overwhelmed

With the recent tragic earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and the ongoing bad economy here in the U.S. I keep fighting  back the feelings of doom and gloom. It's times like these that test our metal (just what does that mean anyway?). It's almost springtime, the sun is shining, the birds are singing and I have not caught up to speed with the nature around me.

If I think about all the recent natural disasters I just feel overwhelmed. Here is a list of what has occurred just this year. This was compiled by reliefweb.

Japan: Earthquake and Tsunami - Mar 2011
New Zealand: Earthquake - Feb 2011
Madagascar: Cyclone Bingiza - Feb 2011
Mexico: Cold Wave - Feb 2011
Cyclone Yasi - Jan 2011
Malaysia : Floods - Jan 2011
Cyclone Wilma - Jan 2011
Bolivia: Floods and Landslides - Jan 2011
Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
Vanuatu: Tropical Cyclone Vania - Jan 2011
Bangladesh: Cold Wave - Jan 2011

Click here to see the 2010 list:

It is unbelievable! Most of this I wasn't even aware of. I don't want to ignore the issues, but I also don't want to dwell on them. I don't know if it is because I am getting older or because information is spread so swiftly over computers, phones and tv. I hope that I can find a balance and use my energies in a positive way rather than a negative way. 

Perhaps I should just pray more and use the prayer I learned in elementary school:"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference". This seems to be a perfect fit for me at the moment.

Ta Ta for now....