Monday, November 8, 2010

Before We Begin - Josh Groban

My sister and I had an amazing treat in Palm Desert when we went to see Josh Groban at the McCallum Theatre on November 6, 2010. The concert was titled "Before We Begin" and it was the first of five concerts in intimate venues to promote the official release of his new album "Illuminations" on November 16, 2010.  

It was quite exciting waiting outside the theatre by the beautifully lit waterfall and fountain. I asked a "Grobanite" (for those of you who don't know what that is, it's a Groban groupie) to take a picture of my sister and me. There were many dedicated fan groups there, mostly middle aged women (hey, that's me!) who wore matching t-shirts (no, not me!). Some shirts were screen printed and some were bedazzled. There were all forms of fan paraphernalia such as handbags, sweatshirts, buttons, you name it, as long as it said Josh, Groban or Illuminations it was donned!

It was a miracle that I was even able to nab two seats, and we were literally in the last row of the balcony, dead center, directly below the follow spot and lighting control booth! Finally the moment came, the curtains opened, and there he was sitting on a sofa with sunglasses on with his adorable dog "Sweenie" next to him. He was dressed very relaxed and casual in jeans, Josh not the dog, a plaid shirt and cowboy boots. What a sweetheart!

The show lasted an hour and a half, and he sang songs from across his four Cd's and a couple from the upcoming new one. I can't even explain how amazingly talented he is. Not only is he an accomplished pianist, but also a songwriter and most importantly a gifted baritone. Like an angel he filled the theater and my soul with melodies as smooth as glass and as uplifting as an angelic choir. I could listen to him all night long!

The remaining venues on this tour are San Diego and Santa Barbara California, New Haven Connecticut and lastly London England in the UK. What a treat his fans are in for and I can't wait for his new album to be shipped to my door!

Ta Ta for now...
Josh joked and conversed with the audience in a
very relaxed and casual way that made us all feel
as though he were speaking to us individually.
THE END!