Friday, November 5, 2010

30th Anniversary!

My husband and I just recently celebrated our 30th Wedding Anniversary! I find that quite amazing, my how time flies. There were discussions about doing some big trip to commemorate the day, but we decided travel was not in our plans so I scoured the internet for options.

How about a weekend in San Fran? or a moderate drive to Vegas? Nothing seemed to fit. Then I decided that San Diego was close, yet far enough away to feel like we were getting away. I checked AAA, hotels.com, kayak, bing and other search engines, but I needed to refine my search. This was a very special occasion, so I thought why not look at 4 star and above locations? I am always so budget conscious that I threw all caution to the wind! Finally it popped up, The Grand Del Mar Resort & Spa. I could not find any price less than all the search engines presented, so I went to work to maximize our getaway! I friended them on facebook and got in on the last five minutes of a contest to win a free stay. No deal! The best I could do was book on Hotels.com through my Upromise Account. That guaranteed me a 4% rebate. Then I paid with my Upromise Credit Card and earned another 1% back. When I booked the massages at the spa, I mentioned that it was our Anniversary, and when I called the Hotel the next day to arrange for an early check in I mentioned it to them as well. Through facebook I learned that the resort was offering a complimentary 30 minute upgrade on certain massages. My husband was already scheduled for one of them, so I asked to be upgraded and wallah, done!

The resort was gorgeous! Everywhere we went the staff congratulated us! The attention to detail was amazing. After my massage, I was presented with a plate of strawberries, melted chocolate and truffles and the plate had "Happy Anniversary" scripted in chocolate! My husband also received the same. After we checked into our room, the doorbell rang. Yes there was a doorbell! A lovely gold covered tray was rolled in and we were presented with complimentary champagne and another gorgeous decadent dessert that we enjoyed on our mini veranda overlooking a beautiful long fountain and the golf course. I felt like a queen!

Dinner that evening was amazing in their elegant dining room. The hotel had such a rich European feel to it. Everything was marble, granite, rod iron or wood, and very elegantly appointed. There were even touches of Morocco, the Mediterranean and Tuscany.

Breakfast was divine on the outdoor patio. The sun was just beginning to peak, and a server came out twice to move sun umbrellas when he noticed that it might be in my eyes. I never said a thing. Now that's service for you! It was a magnificently indulgent and relaxing stay and we might just have to make it a yearly Anniversary treat!

Ta Ta for now...