Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey for Two

This Thanksgiving was very different from any we have had in the past. My husband is just two weeks past his hip replacement surgery, so he is unable to travel comfortably. We were also not up for hosting a  houseful of up to over 12 family members, as we have for so many years in the past, due to his bed being downstairs now and him just not being up for that much activity.


Our daughter goes to college in Chicago, and only has a few days off, so she was off to Ohio to spend it with relatives there as she did last year! So it was just us, and it felt like a date!

Besides it being a glorious California day, the meal was a huge success. I opted for a 3 1/2 pound turkey breast instead of a whole turkey for several reasons. All meat with no bone, faster cooking, and healthier choices being most of those reasons! My husband is diabetic, so he is taking an active role in trying to eat better and make better dining choices. I think on a whole we did pretty well. Who says you can't enjoy the meal and still make healthier choices that you won't feel too guilty about.

This was  our menu:
  • Turkey Breast, herb seasoned and baked.
  • Stuffing (ok, so too many carbs, but hey it's Thanksgiving after all!)
  • Brussels Sprouts steamed
  • Candied Carrots (with splenda)
  • Yams (one simply baked, one candied)
  • Crescent Rolls (light)
  • Gewurtztraminer wine (me only, and believe me I enjoyed several glasses!)
  • Sparkling water
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake, no sugar, low fat.
Yes, I bought myself flowers for the occasion! I knew my husband would have if he was able, so what's a girl to do?!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful and tasty Thanksgiving.

Ta ta for now...