Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Smile for the Birdie!

Recently I have seen some really colorful and beautiful birds in my neighborhood. Have they always been here or are they taking up summer residency? and why have I never noticed them before? Aside from the obnoxious crows that strut around the neighborhood like they own the place, I have seen numerous delicate hummingbirds, swallows, herons and birds of prey.

 I am not an expert at birdwatching, but by referring to a local field guide, I will do my best to identify the birds I have seen in the past. I have always loved birds, so maybe I can enhance my dogwalking experience by learning about the birds in my area. Here goes:


Summer:
  • Warbler, yellow but haven't identified it yet
  • Crow (Corvus brachyhynchus)
  • Hummingbird, many varieties (family Trochilidae)
  • Wren (family Troglodytidae)
  • Mourning Dove, quiet peaceful birds (Zenaida macroura)
  • Mountain Bluebird, absolutely gorgeous (Sialia currucoides)
  • Northern Mockingbird, will swoop if you are too close to a nest! (Mimus polyglottos)
Winter
  • Falconniformes including the Red Tailed Hawk, haunting (Buteo jamaicensis)
  • American Coot, very noisy in big numbers (Fulica americana)
  • Great Egret, graceful (Ardea Alba)
  • Canadian Geese, gorgeous in flight (Branta canadensis)
Fall
  • Cliff Swallows, darting wonders!
I found a lot of the birds I referrenced above here...

And you know the best part? all you have to do is stand quietly and just listen for a moment and you will be amazed at all the lovely music that surrounds you!

Ta ta for now...