Saturday, February 12, 2011

Honest Feedback Rewarded

During my last trip to Chicago, I booked two different hotels thru Hotels.com. Both were based on price. The first at Best Western, was specifically for location and for price. The second, The Palmer House was for luxury and reputation plus a wonderful price thru Hotels.com. I splurged a little as it was a treat for my husband and me, because we always stay at budget hotels! To tell you the truth though, sometimes the budget hotels have free amenities like coffee in your room or free breakfast that the higher priced places don't. Go figure!

The room at the Palmer House was small, but beautifully decorated in an elegant, modern, art deco motif with granite throughout. They gave me a room close to an elevator as I had requested. My printed confirmation from hotels.com stated that my reservation was for a Standard King Buffet Breakfast room. When I inquired about the buffet at the front desk I was told there was none and I felt very embarrassed. I did send customer service at Hotels.com a kind email about this and they responded quickly with an apology and an offer of a $50.00 voucher to use on a future booking.  I thought that was pretty amazing. Did I die without the buffet? No, but it would have been a wonderful cost saving extra!

Georges-Pierre Seurat
A Sunday Afternnoon
2271_1165823.jpg

Thorne miniature room
English Drawing Room of the Early Georgian Period, 1730s

Because of freezing temperatures (7degrees) my sightseeing was very limited. The next time I'm in Chicago I want to go to the Russian Tea Time Restaurant.  It looks like a wonderful place to have an adventure! But until then...

Ta Ta for now...
The Palmer House is within walking distance of the best attractions the city of Chicago has to offer like Millennium Park, Grant Park, Lake Michigan, the Art Institute of Chicago, the theater district, and the Magnificent Mile. I spent a couple of hours meandering through the Impressionist Art Masterpieces and the wonderful Thorne Miniature Rooms at the Art Institute. I had never seen such detailed work on period room decor in such tiny duplications! Each room was more miraculous than the last! Admission just happened to be free the day I went. What a 
treat!