Friday, October 22, 2010

MACY Awards

Here in Southern California there are the Macy Awards, or Music and Arts Commendation for Youth.  This organization was founded in 1969 by John and Lee Childress. They are dedicated to encouraging, recognizing and rewarding achievement and excellence in high school musical theatre. Currently, Lee and the MACY directors and judges view 30 to 35 shows and award some 300 trophies and 10 scholarships at an annual awards ceremony. 

Last year was my first year acting as a substitute judge.  It was truly an eye opener and I was amazed at how many talented student performers there are. I also saw a lot of creative and enthusiastic musical theatre!  Friday night is my first show this year.  I will see "Thoroughly Modern Millie" at Huntington Beach High School. I can't wait to see a lot of wonderful theatre again this year.

High school productions are another great way to get out and see a lot of shows without busting your budget.  You can always be assured the money made goes right back into the system since the parent guilds and volunteers work really hard to subsidize high school productions!

Ta Ta for now...