Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Zip Line in Big Bear

After my first and second experience Zip Lining on Catalina last year, I must confess that I am now addicted to this adrenaline rush! That is why I couldn't resist purchasing a "Deal of the Day" offer through my local newspaper, The OC Register. They offered a 9 Line Zip Tour with a Fun Suspension Bridge in Big Bear for only $48.00. This is an up to $95.00 value!

I bought three offers back in January, since my sister told me that if I ever saw any more zip offers that she wanted to go. Coordinating schedules is difficult for working people, but we decided a Friday would work best, and I reserved a date that I thought would put us past snow in Big Bear. It happened to land a week after one of their big snowfalls which actually worked out beautifully! There was just enough snow on the ground to create a gorgeous backdrop to the pines, mountains and rocks, but not so much that we needed chains or heavy mountain gear! Because we went up early on a Friday, we missed any heavy weekend traffic that would have started after working hours. It timed out perfectly. We had enough time to have a wonderful Mexican lunch at Hacienda Grill which was just up the street from Action Zipline Tours where our tour would start. Then we drove over to The Village and window shopped the quaint stores before heading back to begin our big adventure.
Actionziplinetours.com covered everything! After a short safety and instructional video, a van drove us up to the 9000' altitude point where we loaded into two Swiss Pinzgauer high mobility all-terrain vehicles. Even that ride set the tone for our next adventure as we twisted, turned and bounced on slick muddy mountain roads (more like paths) as we wove our way to the starting point.
Once we reached the first platform, we donned our harnesses, helmets and safety gloves and reviewed braking techniques. 
Our warm-up was a suspension bridge. I ran across first to avoid any extra movement provided by the tour guides.

It was so exciting to experience high-speed runs while flying over the treetops. I even was brave enough to strike different poses or to let go completely!

I can't wait to return for another adventure. We were told that we could receive a 10% discount on our next booking if we just told them the date of our last reservation. I'm game! I might even try one of their Segway Tours. Oh, and they will sell you photos or the entire picture cd. As you can see, they take amazing pictures and these are just a small sampling of the many they took. They also do not allow you to take cameras or cell phones on your journey.

I would suggest visiting the following websites before you go to check for special events, discounts and dining tips. It will save you time and help you plan your trip.
Ta ta for now...save money!