Sunday, September 25, 2011

How do you Mend a Broken Heart?

What does a parent tell a child when that child has their heart broken? What words are there to mend the feelings of loss and pain? How do you explain that love will come along again someday, when the feelings of rejection and disappointment are so fresh that the mind cannot comprehend?

This is what awaited me when I flew to visit my daughter at school this past weekend. I had no clue, and apparently neither did she, that her boyfriend no longer wanted to keep the long distance romance going. I fault  no one except the innocence of youth and young love. It is so hard to see her devastated in this way. I reassure, I hug and I listen a lot. I tell her that she must take time to mourn, but that she must continue to move forward. She has 8 months until she graduates from college and I tell her to try and focus on the job at hand.

Why is life so difficult at times? Why are we presented with such challenges? What are we supposed to learn? These are the hardest times of parenting. I don't always feel that I have the right answers, or any answers at all. All I know is that these are the times to let her know that I am there for her and that I love her. 

Where is that darn box of tissues?

Ta ta for now...