Saturday, July 16, 2011

How Not to be Envious

What is Envy? According to the Roget's thesaurus it can mean many things. To me, it means wanting that which another has, or at least thinking you do! On the surface, reading about things other people do or have, or the plans they may have make me feel just a little bit inadequate. Then I have to stop and smack myself. I have a great life. I am happy, I have a small but loving family unit, and I have a job in this most shaky of financial times. I am a fairly boring individual who doesn't demand a lot, but I do feel that I am not in want of anything. Perhaps to someone else my life is dreamy and exciting! I guess it just boils down to perception.

When the little green-eyed monster pops it's head up, I'll just have to take a step back and think to myself, do I really want what that person has, or is just the idea of having it that is appealing?  Usually when I reason things out I can bring everything into perspective!

Reading the notes below, I have decided that it is usually envy that I experience, not jealousy. I am  happy for people and their accomplishments, not jealous of the fact that they are most fortunate. Jealousy is an ugly thing that can only lead you downhill!

So much for today's soul searching...

Ta ta for now....


Main Entry: envy
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: jealousy
Synonyms: backbiting, coveting, covetousness, enviousness, evil eye, green-eyed monster, grudge, grudging, grudgingness, hatred, heartburn, ill will, invidiousness, jaundiced eye, lusting, malevolence, malice, maliciousness, malignity, opposition, prejudice, resentfulness, resentment, rivalry, spite
Notes: jealousy  is reflective of a person's feelings or attitudes toward another person, whereas envy  expresses a person's feelings or attitudes toward another person's advantages or accomplishments; jealousy pertains to emotional rivalry while envy is resentment of a more fortunate person
Antonyms: comfort, confidence, contentedness, good will, kindness, pleasure

Main Entry: envy
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: be jealous of another
Synonyms: be envious, begrudge, covet, crave, desire, die over, eat one's heart out, grudge, hanker, have hard feelings, hunger, long, lust, object to, resent, thirst, turn green, want, yearn
Antonyms: be confident, be content
.