Saturday, April 9, 2011

Happy 83rd Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's 83rd Birthday, or as I wrote on her card, "Happy 30,295th Birthday Mom!". Wow, in days it sounds really alarming. Really, over Thirty Thousand Days?  Maybe we should switch to decades, that way I could wish her a  Happy 8.33rd decade birthday! That certainly sounds a lot younger.

The good things is that she is in really good health. Other than some hearing loss and cataracts, she is doing great. The German genes have served her well. On the other hand, my father of Russian descent, died a week before his 76th birthday. He had a lot of health issues, some which were probably caused by his military service and exposure to unknown chemicals during the war.

So where does that put me? I hope the German genes kick in. My dad does have one surviving sister who is in her 80's. So in my own unscientific way I will guess that I have the possibility of a healthy life into my 80s.

God help my daughter, who will probably be stuck taking care of me!

Ta Ta for now...

My Mom at around age 3,  in Germany,
 where she lived during the depression with relatives.