Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Recycling the Halloween Pumpkin

Well Halloween is over and there is left over candy in the bowl and an uncarved pumpkin on the stoop!  No worries, I'll just take the candy to work and put it out on the counter for the customers to enjoy and hope that I personally don't take too many side trips to see what looks good!

As for my pumpkin, I purposely didn't carve it because I have a special plan for it this time of year. I cut it up, scape out the seeds and then pressure cook the insides to use in my home made pumpkin bread. I used to love to bake, but now I am down to a few special recipes that have become holiday traditions. I don't know why it's called "bread" there is so much sugar in it that it actually is more of a pumpkin pound loaf!  The seeds are recycled also. After rinsing, I place them on an oiled cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake at 300 degrees for around 20 minutes or until they look lightly tanned.

I follow a recipe that is actually for zucchini bread, but I substitute the pumpkin instead. I make a large loaf to share at the Thanksgiving table, and  a couple dozen mini loafs to send home with my family or pass out to friends. The starting quarterback for the University of Hampshire Wildcats has gotten a loaf every year for as long as I can remember, since he grew up with my daughter. I will have to see if I will be able to get him one this year as it is his senior year and I want to keep the tradition going. I'm trying to sending along a loaf to my daughter who is abroad in school, via a friend who is lucky enough to be visiting her! Hopefully it will remind her of home and her family a little bit.

Ta Ta for now...